IEM Toastmasters Meeting #191 on 13 February, 2014 was called to order by Sergeant-At-Arms Seyed Mohsen Forghani, TM at 7.30pm with twenty two attendees coming from near and far:-
1. Kiang Faang Pyng (District 51 Governor)
2. Engr. Lee Meng Tze (District 51 Secretary)
3. Johan Irwan Kamarozaman (Area E3 Governor)
4. Alex Lu (President)
5. Ir. Lim Suleen (Chinese New Year Open House Meeting Organizing Chair)
6. Ir. Lim Juleen
7. Anita Wong
8. Ng Yee Chia
9. Kanagaraj Pillay
10. Robert Ram
11. Anthony Kolandai
12. Wong Ling Kui
13. Jaden Lim (Walk-in Guest)
14. Diong Jia Ming (TTDI TMC)
15. Seyed Mohsen Forghani
16. SKL Walia
17. Joe Yap
18. Andrew Nathan
19. Meera Shanmughanathan
20. Mok Zhen Yick
21. Aaron Ho
22. Chia Meng Yee
Word of the Evening: Gallant
This meeting commenced with the President, Alex Lu, ACB, ALB welcoming all guests followed by attendees introducing themselves. After completing a round of introduction, the President then handed over control to the Toastmaster of the Evening (TME), Anita Wong, CTM, CL. She introduced Toastmasters International (District and Club), meeting program and role-players.
The meeting continued with a humour session by Humour Master, Anthony Kolandai, who tickled the audience with his hilarious jokes.
Next was a special talk by District 51 Governor, Kiang Faang Pyng, DTM titled “Awaken the Leader in You”. The District Governor inspired the audience to take up leadership roles with the District. She reminisced how joining Toastmasters in the beginning was for personal reasons of self-development but that as her journey led her to the position of Lieutenant-Governor of Marketing, it was about giving back to the community. The District Governor further emphasized that toastmasters was not only about public speaking skills. It also advocated and taught leadership skills. Leadership skills teaches one to work and interact with people, and she felt that it would make one a better employee. The District Governor also congratulated IEM Toastmasters for being the first club in Peninsular Malaysia to achieve President Distinguished Club status, and thanked IEM Toastmasters for inviting her to its Chinese New Year meeting.
Watch District Governor Kiang Faang Pyng, DTM inspire the members of IEM Toastmasters below:-
After that came the moment all had been waiting for – the Table Topics session conducted by Table Topics Master Joe Yap, TM. Joe presented the attendees with a choice of fortune cookies which contained interesting topics based on the theme “Chinese New Year” from which they were to speak on. The following five table topics speakers volunteered for the challenge:
1. Anthony Kolandai
2. Aaron Ho
All speakers met the time qualification.
An intermission of 20 minutes was announced, during which members ushered in and celebrated Chinese New Year by tossing ‘Yee Sang’. Attendees celebrated birthdays of DTM Kiang Faang Pyng and Anita Wong, CTM, CL by singing ‘Happy Birthday’ after which they cut a delicious chocolate cake.
The meeting was resumed by Sergeant-At-Arms Anthony Kolandai, ACB. The Project speeches session then began with three public speakers presenting project speeches:
- #1 Robert Ram, DTM, ACM Technical Presentation #3: Technical Briefing: “Internet Marketing Part 2”. Robert spoke on keyword research in internet marketing.
- #2 Meera Nathan, CC, CL – “The Roast”. Meera roasted one of her mentor’s, Robert Ram, who was one of the Past Presidents of the club.
- #3 Ir. Lim Juleen, TM CC #5 – Your Body Speaks – “Body Language”. This speaker spoke on how our facial expressions, smile, eyes, hand gestures, hand shake and body position could portray different messages.
All public speakers met the time qualification.
General evaluator, Diong Jia Ming, ACB then took control. She invited the following evaluators to present their evaluation of the speeches:
- Speech Evaluator #1: Chia Meng Yee, CC, ALB
- Speech Evaluator #2: Johan Irwan Kamaruddin, ACB, ALB
- Speech Evaluator #3: Andrew Nathan, ACS
The timer’s report was presented with all speech evaluators speaking within time to be qualified in the voting for the best evaluator. The general evaluator then invited other role players to present their report.
- Grammarian : Kanagaraj Pillay, ACB
- Ah Counter : Suresh Kandasamy, TM
Upon receiving the comments from the evaluators and role players, the general evaluator presented her comments. After she concluded, Timer Wong King Kui, TM presented his report for all speakers and role-players, including the general evaluator. The President then presented appreciation to the general evaluator. He also presented awards to the following:
- Best Table Topics Speaker: Robert Ram, DTM
- Best Project Speaker: Meera Nathan, CC, CL
- Best Evaluator : Andrew Nathan, ACS
- Best Dressed Woman: Meera Nathan, CC, CL
- Best Dressed Man: Alex Lu, ACB, ALB
There were a few announcements on the upcoming events as set out below, before the President delivered his closing remarks for this wonderful Meeting. Meeting adjourned at 11.00 pm.
- The next club meeting #192 is on 27 February 2014 at 7.30 pm.
- IEM Toastmasters will be having a meeting on 21 February 2014 to prepare for the Speechcraft programs for the Young Engineers’ Section of IEM, and Amcorp, at 7.30 pm at 2nd Flr, Bangunan Ingeniur.
- Members are to renew their membership fees of RM200 before 27 February 2014 by paying to the club Treasurer, Tan Ken Wayne or VPE Ng Yee Chia as soon as possible.
(This blog post was written by Meera Shanmughanathan, CC, CL.)